Monday, May 31, 2010

Chinchilla Rehoming

Lately I've been busy trying to help people rehome their chinchillas.  I can't take any more in, I just don't have the space or time for more. It really irritates me that there are so many of these and other pets being rehomed.  Why?  Why do people feel that animals are something you get rid of.

What is wrong with some people.  Is it the work? Time? Money?  I just don't get it.  Of course you hear all the same excuses: I'm moving, I have allergies, I'm having a baby...blah blah blah.  I don't buy those excuses.  Why not just say the truth.  I hate cleaning cages, this animal wasn't what I thought it would be, I don't want to be tied down to an animal.  No, instead I hear the song and dance over why it's not their fault and how much they love their pet.  Bull! 

I blame petstores for this problem.  They aren't there to educate people, make sure that they are thinking their purchase through.  No, the petstore is there to get the impulse buy and sucker you into buying all the crap they have in the store. 

Of course my emails to the government to ban the sale of animals in petstores goes unheard.  They don't care either.  Who cares if these animals die a horrible death ignored in their cages?  Who cares if they are let go out in the "wild"?  Who cares if they are dumped off at shelters?  I care but I can't win this battle.  I feel defeated as there is not too many other that want to help.

I suggested to start a rescue.  No one wants to help.  No one wants to be bothered.  I can't save anymore chinchillas.  I honestly have more than I should.  I love them all dearly and know that they are better off with me where they do get attention,  clean cages, food and treats and proper daily care. 

It's disheartening.  I really think that mankind is truly messed up.  In my opinion, you can judge a society by how it treats our animals.  We aren't doing well at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment